"To me, success is having work I enjoy while being able to support my family while working with folks I respect and enjoy."
"Because I have had such positive response from the vegan community I would never put an animal product in my brand. I love that! The power of people thanking me and expressing their values has informed future decisions."
Dream a Little Dream
Have you ever fantasized about starting your own business and sharing your creative vision with the world? We asked Nieves to share her top tips to help other women who aspire to be their own bosses. Here's what she said:
1. Make something you love love love, because you will be talking about it day in and day out so believe in it with all your heart. If you don’t totally believe in it, work for someone else…it’s easier!
2. Be sure other people resonate with it too before putting too much time and/or money into it. Test on friends and colleagues. Do they love it? Are they asking for more? Most anybody will be verbally supportive but when they ask for more of whatever it is you’re offering, then you know it has a chance.
3. Start small. That way if it works, great, if doesn’t, fine, you gave it a try and you can move on to your next great idea.
4. Do something for your business idea every day until you’re busy with it all the time and then take days off!
5. Consider whether you can scale up and maybe even scale back down and still maintain your vision.
Nieves Rathbun launched her all-natural, vegan skincare line, By Nieves, in 2008. Today, she’s a grassroots-gone-big success story, setting her own rules (leaving the SF Bay Area for the rugged Lost Coast, for starters), and living according to her own values. Here, Nieves shares her story of taking a good idea, adding a hefty dose of passion, and transforming it into a lucrative venture.
photos courtesy of By Nieves